We are now heading into June 30 2011. Do you know that it is time to fill up your returns with KRA. Below are some of the things that you need to remember and where you are not sure contact your accountant or tax consultant.
Who is to fill the returns?
1. All Kenyans
2. All non-Kenyans getting their income from Kenyan employment or business.
What do I need to fill the returns?
1. Dully filled up Individual return form obtainable from Kra website .
2. Disclose all your income.
3. Certified Individual tax card (P9) form- obtainable from your employer.
4. PIN number of your residence landlord if applicable.
5. Evidence of tax paid in advance e.g withholding tax (obtain certificate from where you were paid and the ta withheld).
Where do I take the filled up returns forms?
The return forms once filled up should be submitted to kra office ground floor in Times Towers, Nairobi or any other Kra offices throughout the country or any other designated collection points as KRA may advice from time to time.
What happens if I do not file the returns?
Failure to file returns attracts heavy penalty plus possible prosecution.It is illegal not to file your returns. The deadline is 30th June 2011 but you need not wait till the last day.
One may argue that he/she is not employed. Please note that you can still fill up nil returns. Failure to file return is in itself an offense.
MY ADVICE IS THAT YOU DO THIS EARLY ENOUGH.NOT 30th JUNE 2011